Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Easy Lemon Curd


I love lemons. Anything lemon flavored I am all over. In fact we have a little Meyer Lemon tree in our home, with lots of little lemons growing. A couple more months and they will be ready to pick.

Tonight I made some lemon curd to use up a few store bought lemons I had hanging around. Now when it comes to most recipes I am one bowl sort of gal. I hate making an extra mess. So when making lemon curd I went for the simplest route.

You will need:

3 lemons- juiced and zested. (aprox. 1/2 cup lemon juice)
1/2 cup sugar
1 whole egg
4 egg yolks
3 T butter

Start off by separating your eggs and placing the whole egg and yolks in a sauce pan. Aren't they pretty. Home-fresh eggs are so much brighter in color than store bought. The 3 bigger yolks are duck eggs which are even richer.


Whisk the eggs up and add in the sugar. Mix that around too.



Now get the lemons. I like to zest them right over the pan to catch any of the juices that come off while zesting. Squeeze the lemons and add the juice to the saucepan.

On low heat stir continuously. After about 5 minutes I turn the heat up just a bit to medium low. When the lemon curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon remove from heat and drop in the butter. Stir until the butter is completely melted and the lemon curd is smooth. Place in a jar and cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap is touching the surface so that a skin doesn't form. Keep it in the refrigerator.


And there it is. Just right for filling pies and cakes or on top of toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment